Frequently Asked Questions
- When should I go to VelocityCare instead of an emergency room?
- Do I have to make an appointment?
- Does VelocityCare accept insurance?
- How much does a visit cost?
- What medical providers staff VelocityCare?
- Can I get vaccinations at VelocityCare?
- What about follow-up care?
- Will VelocityCare give my doctor information about my visit?
- What does "extended hours" mean?
- Does VelocityCare have X-ray services?
- Does VelocityCare have laboratory services for common problems, such as strep throat and influenza infections?
- Can I get a flu shot at VelocityCare?
1. When should I go to VelocityCare instead of an emergency room?
Patients should come to VelocityCare for non-life threatening illnesses or injuries. Use the following guide to decide whether you should seek emergency care or urgent care:
If you feel you have a severe or life-threatening health issue, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department immediately for evaluation.
2. Do I have to make an appointment?
No, you can walk in and see a physician from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Monday – Saturday, and 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sundays.
3. Does VelocityCare accept insurance?
Many insurance plans are accepted. Please check with your insurer to verify coverage before treatment. Our staff will be happy to check for you upon your arrival. Any co-payment required by your insurance plan will be collected at the time of service.
4. How much does a visit cost?
VelocityCare is an affordable, cost-effective alternative to an emergency room visit and is available when other care is not. The specific cost of a visit to one of our urgent care locations will vary depending on the care required and the services provided. We are committed to providing outstanding care with an outstanding value. Many insurance plans are accepted and substantial discounts are available for patients who prefer to pay out-of-pocket for their visit. VelocityCare will help you get the best value out of your healthcare dollar.
5. What medical providers staff VelocityCare?
VelocityCare utilizes board-certified physicians, as well as well-trained and qualified certified physician assistants and family nurse practitioners.
6. Can I get vaccinations at VelocityCare?
Yes, our services include a wide range of immunizations including flu, tetanus, TDap and more. We can also help you get properly vaccinated if you are traveling to a foreign country. Call us for more information about travel vaccines.
7. What about follow-up care?
VelocityCare is the only urgent care in southwest Virginia with direct access to Carilion Clinic's comprehensive network of primary care and specialty care physicians. Our team will work with each patient to determine the best follow-up treatment. Your electronic medical record (EMR) is shared as appropriate with your medical providers to coordinate your care in the most efficient way.
8. Will VelocityCare give my doctor information about my visit?
As a part of Carilion Clinic, VelocityCare is connected to a name you know and trust when it comes to your family's health. That means you're connected through your personal electronic medical record to Carilion Clinic's network of physicians who work together to coordinate your care when you need it.
9. What does "extended hours" mean?
Our urgent care locations are open Monday – Saturday from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. You do not need an appointment to be treated.
10. Does VelocityCare have X-ray services?
Yes, VelocityCare has state-of-the-art imaging and diagnostic equipment on-site, with results reviewed by a team of hospital-trained radiologists.
11. Does VelocityCare have laboratory services for common problems, such as strep throat and influenza infections?
Yes, VelocityCare has laboratory services at all locations, staffed by a team of highly-trained technicians, who work alongside physicians and nurses to treat a wide-range of common illnesses. We have a direct relationship with the area's largest tertiary care lab provider to offer quick, cost-effective care when you need it.
12. Can I get a flu shot at VelocityCare?
Yes, VelocityCare offers many vaccines including flu, Tetanus, TDap and more. If you aren't sure about a vaccination you need, please ask our staff for clarification. Please call us for more information about travel vaccines. We can also immunize patients traveling abroad.